Wednesday, February 1, 2012

1970 GRILL

My favorite Korean inspired resto in the Quezon City area has always been Chung Mi Rae near Timog Avenue. But of course I'm still always on the lookout for something even better.  A few weeks ago, I had the chance to chat with a Korean national and I asked him of his favorite Korean inspired resto (at least within the said area) He did mention that Chung Mi Rae is good but that a somewhat new place called 1970 Grill is even better.

With a companion in tow last week, I set out to try the said resto.... As soon as we were seated, a lady server handed to us the menu. I immediately asked her if they have Dwenjang Chiggae (soybean paste soup) and even before I can finish my sentence, she abruptly replied to me. "Whatever is in the menu, those are the ones available".

Based on my limited experience with Korean inspired restos (at least in the quezon city area) servers are not  exactly the friendly type, but I don't see any valid reason for them to being rude. I was actually ready to walk out but the cooler head in me decided to at least stay and try out the food. (besides, a slightly friendlier server came by to help out)

Complimentary Appetizers

Quite disappointing that their offering of Korean ban chan is quite limited as we got only 4 kinds. (compared with other rests, the ban chan offerings can go as much as 9 different kinds)



Lets see ...... cabbage kimchi, pickled onions and coleslaw (why this is even worse than Bulgogi Brothers)




And a bowl of boiling (errrrr I think I'll just call this scrambled egg soup) ..... nothing special, tastes like underseasoned, watered down scrambled egg.




They also have complimentary soup (the unfriendly serve said it's miso soup) ..... Its way too salty so we didn't finish the soup.


Kimchi Pork Soup


Ok so complimentary soups are probably not the best idea if one wants good flavor ...... Perhaps the one I ordered (and will be paying for) will be better. All I tatsted is sour sour sour that it completely overwhelmed all the other flavors. (assuming there are other flavors present)...... Yes I know, kimchi does carry a little sour flavor. BUT NOT LIKE THIS !!!


Grilled Beef Belly


The thinly sliced meat were not marinated nor seasoned so it was pretty bland (you have to make use of the dipping sauce). Plus the server over grilled the beef so it kinda dried out.


*********************************

Personal sidenote: as we were dining, I noticed that a couple had already paid their bill, left the table and went out the door, of which I was sure the servers noticed that too. But it took more than 30 minutes before they even thought about clearing the said table. I guess its more important for them to worry about whether their cellphone is charged or not.


*********************************

Perhaps it was just a bad night for us ...... maybe some of you might get better luck. So I'll give you the directions.

From the Timog-Tomas Morato rotunda, take Tomas Morato going into the direction of E. Rodriguez. At the 3rd intersection (Bang Coffee to your left serves as landmark) take a left and you should immediately see the signage. (oh yeah, 2nd intersection to your left is where Yakimix is)

No comments:

Post a Comment