Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tale of Two Steaks

Cow King

Was supposed to order the rib-eye, but the server told me they were out of stock. I instead ordered the Porterhouse. It was priced somewhere in the 300+ peso range and (considering that price) I was sooooo surprised when my order came because I am now staring at this huge, and I mean huge slab of meat right in front of me Why it can barely fit into the sizzling plate. Downside would be that my steak was so rubbery, that I believe I spent more time trying to slice the meat than actually enjoying it. Why I think I'm starting to develop arthritis on my arthritis.



I ordered for a rare steak and I got one thats more cooked than the one my friend ordered (he ordered a medium well)

In fairness, my other companions said theirs were ok (we all ordered porterhouse). I guess, I'm just the unlucky one.



Included with each order of steak, is a small serving of mashed potatoes ........ flavor was nice but texture was just a bit too gooey. (I like my potatoes lumpy)

Cow King is located along Scout Ybardolaza Street near the corner of Scout Fuentabella Street in Quezon City. From the Timog-Tomas Morato rotunda, take timog going into the direction of Edsa. At the second corner (a shell gas station should serve as landmark) take a right. At the fourth corner, that should be Scout Fuentabella, just look to your right and the eatery should be seen after the intersection.


Aomori









More of a bakeshop that sells breads and macarons plus some japanese goodies, this place also offers breakfast fare like waffles as well as ala carte menu like pastas and steaks (just to name a few). I opted for the Australian Meltique, Mushroom Confit with Red Wine Sauce. (well thats whats written in the menu)



Its priced in the 400+ peso range and I was delightfully surprised that the serving is still big. (though not as big as the one in Cow King) I ordered a medium rare and the cook did a good job on this one. Its still a little over but not to the extreme. Meat is very tender and quite flavorful. The addition of the sauce doesn't really elevate the dish to a much higher level. (frankly, I think its quite forgettable). I would be quite content with the steak alone. of course, the potato wedges, grilled tomatoes and big onion rings are a welcome addition.

Aomori is located at the lower ground floor of North East Square Building, Connecticut Avenue in San Juan. (if you are coming from Edsa, its just a few houses pass Lugang and Angels Kitchen)

No comments:

Post a Comment