Friday, January 28, 2011

FORTUGUESE ANYONE ???

So what does the F word mean ??? Well, I guess it could be anything. Fun, Fabulous, Free, Fantastic or F@cked-up. Of course, mustn't forget my favorite F word ........ Food. (so I guess this is where my journey will mostly dwell on)

O'SONHO Portuguese Fushion
Eastwood Mall, Libis, Quezon City


Truth to tell, I don't think I have yet to try authenthic portuguese cuisine so my review will mostly dwell on whether I think the food is good or not. (I asked the staff how they pronounce the name of the resto, and they said O-So-Nyo)

COFFEE MARINATED ROAST PORK


As stated in the menu (and mentioned by our very accomodating server), this dish will take approximately 30 minutes cooking time before it will be served to us...... Given that we were not in much of a hurry, we decided to go for it and decided to order it while we continue browsing the menu. (overall, we ordered 3 dishes that have cooking time of at least 30 minutes)

For a moment, I was a bit concerned about the "Coffee marinated" part since I'm not much of a coffee drinker and was afraid that we might be getting a piece of pork that tasted mostly of coffee. Much to my delight, there was really nothing to fear about. While the dish does have that subtle flavor of coffee, it wasn't that overwhelming. What we got was a nice fork-tender pork dish mixed with a nice balance of sweetness and saltiness.

The small serving of mashed potatoes on the bottom of the pork also served as a counterbalance to the sweetness. (I personally would have wanted a more garlicky flavor for the potatoes)

TODOS PAELLA De CARVE

Second of 3 dishes that will take at least 30 minutes to cook. It's an All Meat Paella with a mix of bacon, beef, chicken, lamb and chorizo.

With each bite, you are going to get different flavors, so long as you get different pieces of the meat. (which by da way were nicely cooked) I like the aroma of the rice and that it was sticky enough so you can pick it up with a fork but not overly glutinous that it feels like you're eating suman.

WHOLE ROASTED PERI PERI CHICKEN

This dish will take at least 45 minutes to an hour of cooking time. But it was well worth the wait as we got an almost perfectly roasted chicken. The meat of the chicken is juicy and tender and the flavors of the spices are just bursting with every bite. I guess the only minor issue with the dish is that the wing part were still pink in color. (too bad because I like eating chicken wings) I didn't really make a fuss about the undercooked chicken wings but nonetheless discreetly told the servers about it just so they could avoid the mistake in the near future.

I presently consider this one of the best chicken dishes I've tasted. (next to CELCIUS GASTROLOUNGE's Spinach Chorizo Stuffed Chicken. But last I heard, the said resto is already closed)

--------------------------

So what did we do while waiting for the 3 dishes to be cooked ...... well aside from engaging in light conversation, we decided to order some soup and appetizers.

CURRIED PUMPKIN SOUP with SOURCREAM

For the longest time, I have always been disappointed at other restos that serve pumpkin soups that taste more of cream than of the pumpkin itself. Thank goodness this wasn't one of those times. While there was still a subtle flavor of the cream, it wasn't overwhelming in its taste. The added curry gives the soup a nice subtle spicy kick.

Don't really know what the small speck of sour cream was for??? I think the taste got diluted when I mixed the soup with my spoon. (probably just for decoration)

FALDO VERDE

As written in the menu, this one is a famous portuguese vegetable soup thats given an O'sonho twist. As earlier posted, this would be my first time to try portuguese cuisine, so I don't have much to compare it with.

This one was actually the soup ordered by my mom and I only took a small spoonfull..... It's creamy (but not overly creamy). Kinda tastes like those canned vegetable soups you buy in the grocery.

PORTUGUESE GAMBAS

I didn't quite taste the difference if I am to compared it with the spanish version. Nontheless, its a good dish with a nice blend of sweet, salty and spicy. (plus an added kick from lots of garlic)


-------------------------

I forgot to ask if the bread were included alongside the gambas or if they were complimentary. Nevertheless, given that we had at least 30 minutes before the main course arrives ..... we ate them all.

4 comments:

  1. Ang daming foods!!! Gusto ko talaga yung coffee roasted pork, parang ang juicy juicy. :)

    Congratulations for having a blog, finally! Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jen

    I'm sure you will enjoy the pork dish ..... but you're gonna love the peri peri chicken even more. (di ba mahilig ka sa chicken dishes?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new blog. And thanks for the heads up on another resto in eastwood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asmo - Yes, mas gusto ko ang chicken kesa sa pork.

    ReplyDelete