Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fulutan Fulutan

I was invited over to a friend's birthday bash in Marikina last wednesday. Food and Drinks (especially the drinks) were aplenty. And while we were served different kinds of finger foods like calamares, squid rings and sausages ...... there were two other "pulutan" dishes that dominantly stood out.

Grilled Tuna Head

Charred on the outside and almost melt-in-your-mouth on the insides. Dipping sauce is just your basic soy sauce, kalamansi and chili peppers which I believe is more than adequate to help enhance the flavor of the fish.


Grilled Goat

Even if I was nearly drunk from the endless arrival of buckets upon buckets of San Mig Lights, I was still conscious enough to appreciate one of the best "pulutan" I had in a long time. When I asked my friend how they prepared this. He says it starts with of course a good stock of the finest goat meat (my friend raises his own goats). Then its just a simple seasoning of salt and pepper and then grilled to perfection.

This is simplicity at its finest .... after I took that first bite, I thought I had been transported to food heaven. The meat is tender, the flavor of the goat meat really comes out and there is none of that gamey aftertaste. I was a bit surprised that there is no dipping sauce that accompanied this fantastic dish (though I am not complaining).

Got to watch my cholesterol intake as I believe I consumed more than half of whats in the plate. (my other drinking buddies are not that fond of pulutan)

5 comments:

  1. one of the best things about goat meat is that it doesn't have that much cholesterol. i miss eating goat meat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jen ...... ah konti lang ba cholesterol ??? Hmmmmm better ask my friend to bring more on our next relaxed drinking session

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asmo, the cholesterol in goat is extremely low compared to beef and pork.

    BTW, as I recall, you finished almost all of the goat, when I reached with my fork, it was all gone. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ karl

    at the very least, I saw you cosnume around 2 pieces. the first time was when I asked you to try it. And the second time, it was voluntary on your part. hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi guyz.. did heard about fish innards, fried as a Fulutan?

    ReplyDelete