Thursday, June 23, 2011

TORCH RESTAURANT



June 20, 2011. It was a holiday so there was no work for most of us ..... I was actually a bit lost as to where to take my dad out for lunch but then I remembered the recommendation of both the SINFUL BANDIT and Sir TEMPEST about this fusion restaurant in the Greenhills area. A quick google and we were off for lunch.



Arrived at an early time of 11:00am so parking was still not a problem (we were actually the first diners). It was just me and my dad so we really couldn't order too much food.


COWBOY ROLL
Thinly sliced US Angus Beef filled with Shitake Mushrooms, Deep Fried in Tempura Batter and served with Sesame Sauce.



I'm not always a fan of mushrooms, but I'll make an exception this time as it just went so well with the tender angus beef. Their sesame sauce (which kinda tasted like teriyaki sauce) has just the right amount of sweetness that you wouldn't get tired of. If not for the heaviness of the sushi rice, I would have ordered another serving just for myself.

With so many different restaurants also serving fusion type sushi rolls ...... This Cowboy Roll is presently my most favorite. (of course there are still other sushi rolls in Torch's menu that I have yet to try)

By da way, (according to the server) most if not all their sushi rolls are served warm.

SMOKED JABANERO GLAZED SALMON
Served with Unagi Citrus Sauce, Mango Salsa and Garlic Parsely Rice



While there were some minor portions of the salmon being somewhat dry. Overall I still think they did a nice job on the fish. Another winner would be the mango salsa as it went so well with the salmon. (the rice was just ok, its fragrant but no extraordinary flavor)

BLACKENED CHICKEN ALFREDO

Fettucine Noodles tossed with Creamy Alfredo Sauce, topped with Grilled Cajun Chicken Slices and served with Garlic Toast



When I saw in the menu that they will be using Fettucine pasta, I asked the server if they could they change it and use Linguini or Spaghetti instead. It was quite odd that the server said they couldn't because in most restos I've been to, they would change the type of pastas used if I requested. Nevertheless, I did not insist on the change and said that the Fettucine pasta would be fine.

Much to my surprise when the dish arrived, i saw that they used spaghetti pasta.  I asked another server why they changed the pasta when the first server I talked to said they couldn't. Her reply was that the kitchen always uses spaghetti when serving this particular dish. But amidst all this confusion, I did not press on and just continued with my eating. (besides, I did request for spaghetti pasta in the first place)

Anyway, aside from somewhat dry pieces of grilled chicken, the alfredo sauce wasn't all that spectacular. In fact, its pretty much like your average carbonara sauce. The cream was a bit on the heavy side so we really couldn't finish all of it. (especially after all those sushi rolls)

PANACOTTA WITH FRESH FRUITS



With fruits consisting of sliced grapes, mango, kiwi and straberries, it's like eating fruit salad, except that the cream is in gelatin form. After a somewhat heavy meal, it was a refreshing treat considering I'm not always a fan of desserts.


******************************************************

There are still a lot of items in their menu that I wanted to try. Some of the food items that seemed interesting would have to be their Steak Fondue, their Sloppy Joe as well as their fusion Pizzas. I hope I can bring more reinforcements the next time around.

Directions: From EDSA, coming from Cubao going to Ortigas, take Connecticut Avenue going into the direction of Greenhills Shopping Center. Just past a Ford Dealership Centre and you should see the signage of Torch Restaurant to your right side.

4 comments:

  1. LIKE :) gotta try that cowboy roll sometime soon :) hmmm interesting .. warm sushis n rolls . the dessert looks awesome . or baka maganda lang ang kuha mo sa fruits. torch kinda funny name , parang pang inuman. but if u say its good. its gotta be great for us mere mortals :) thanks for the the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. had a great time browsing your blog, made me hungry too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tara! balik tayo dito! been wanting to try this also. the pizza my dad brought from torch before was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should also try their beef medallion ....... cge balik tayo. Text mo na si henry.

      Delete