Thursday, February 2, 2012

NOMAMA



Tuna Spring Roll with Spicy Ponzu and Arugula
(Really Like)



The  dish looks beautiful...... The type that you don't want to immediately  eat because you just want to look at it and admire the presentation.  (thank heavens for portable digicams)

It's my first time to have  raw tuna with arugula and I must say they worked quite well together.  The spicy ponzu gives a nice punch at the end and if you want more  spice, just dip in the red sauce that's in the plate. or if you want to  lessen the heat, go with the green avocado sauce.

This was my favorite dish for the evening.

Mushroom Gyoza (Semi-Like)



When  the  dish was served, we immediately asked the friendly server about  a  dipping sauce and his reply was that there was no need for one since  the  sauce is already in the dumpling. I popped one into my mouth (yes,  I  like the size of the dumpling) and immediately one gets the  strong  flavors of mushroom. (which is good because this is after all a  mushroom  dumpling)

I think my minor issue would be that the  sauce pretty  much had the same flavor as the mushroom. I personally  would have wanted  a subtle kick coming from say chilis or herbs......  another small issue  is that the dumplings are loosely sealed in that  when you try to pick  them up with a pair of chopsticks, they start to  break apart.

Nomama Ramen (Don't Like)



In  fairness to the ramen dish, I really liked the hard boiled eggs as they  are nicely cooked with the yolk still soft and creamy. Pork slices are  so-so but at least they are easy to pick up using the chopsticks.

First  issue is the broth ...... One really doesn't know which direction the  flavor profile is going. Is it pork bones? Or is it miso? I guess along  the way, the two flavors just collided themselves into oblivion. The end  result is a broth that somewhat reminds me of those Lomi dishes one  finds in Chinatown eateries. But I guess if you're a lover of Chinese  Lomi, then this one might be up your alley. (My best friend found the broth too salty)

Second issue would be the noodles itself. The  texture is pretty much like those big packs of "Cha Mi" one buys in the  local groceries or marketplace.

Third issue would be that the  ramen dish was served warm ...... we like our ramen piping hot. (I did  try out the soup before we started taking pictures)

* My friend thinks the noodles are ok but agrees with me that the broth could use an overhaul.


************************************

NOMAMA is located along Scout Tuason corner Scout Castor in Quezon City (just a block away from Tomas Morato)

3 comments:

  1. Very artistic yung presentation ng Tuna Spring Roll - I don't eat raw meat, pero parang ang sarap tikman. Pork lang ba yung ramen... or may choices of meat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least they got the egg right...hahaha... im very sensitive about the eggs in Japanese ramen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just order the eggs next time. hahahahaha

      Delete