Saturday, September 22, 2012

KOKORO RAMENYA (Roxas Boulevard)

My first taste of Tonkotsu (Pork Bone Broth) Ramen was during a trip to Singapore a few years ago. It was in this small ramen house in one of the shopping malls called AJISEN Ramen House where I discovered that there is more to ramen than just Shoyu, Shio and Miso. And of course I was extremely thrilled to find out a few months afterwards that there are already branches of AJISEN here in Manila (I eventually tried them too and in my own personal taste, I find them to be quite excellent too)........ Since then, AJISEN's flavors has always been my personal benchmark in finding good ramen.

There are actually a couple more ramen houses within the metropolis that serves the Tonkotsu variety, unfortunately most if not all that I have tried so far seems lacking. (I actually have more ramen reviews in the coming days).

It wasn't until a few weeks ago, when a fellow MTC member (Tequilasunrise) informed me of the existence of another new ramen house. I did some light browsing on the net for some more info (as well as the directions in getting there) and when I was ready, I invited both my parents for this foodtrip adventure. (yup we are a family that just loves noodles)


*****************************

Of course once we were there ......... my curiosity had me browsing over at the appetizer section of their menu.


FRIED GYOZA



Just by looking at it, one can tell that they really packed it with stuffings. I picked it up with a chopstick and the skin did not break nor tear. Tastewise, its quite good but nothing really extraordinary. (at least its not overly oily). On a personal issue, I would prefer each of the dumplings be just a tad smaller in size. (good for a single bite)


SALMON NIGIRI SUSHI



With already an order of fried dumplings, I wasn't just about to spoil  my ramen appetite by ordering too much appetizers. But again, the curious  person in me just had to order some sushi (or sashimi) for the sake of trying.

Size of each sushi is just about right for that single bite... Fish is  fresh, stickiness of the rice is just right though I feel it could use  more acid.


CLASSIC HAKATA
Rich and Creamy Tonkotsu Noodle Soup boiled for 18 hours & topped with Kikurage (mushroom) Chasu (Pork Slices) and Hard Boiled Egg



The dish is served piping hot, also included are generous (but not overwhelming) servings of toppings. Mom was actually thrilled about the inclusion of bamboo shoots. The eggs are nicely cooked, hard boiled on the outer layer and nice and creamy when it comes to the yolk part. The flavor of the broth is quite good, in fact pretty close to the Tonkotsu flavor that I have been looking for these past few months. (unfortunately, the broth from AJESIN ramen house will still win me over).

When i asked the server about their noodles, they said these are of the "fresh" variety .... meaning that they make their own noodles. They said its not hand-pulled as they use a machine to make them.

Noodles are firm and bouncy to the bite, thickness (for me) is just right as its easy to pick up a few strands using the chopstick. But like most "fresh" noodles ...... its best to finish up as soon as possible before it gets too soggy.


TEN MORI RAMEN
Cold Noodles dipped in Kokoro Special Sauce

After finishing of half a bowl of the hot ramen (yes, we usually share a big bowl) I thought to myself, I didn't drive all the way out here just for the taste of one ramen. SO I decided to try one of their cold variety. On the menu, it was actually written TEN MORI UDON so they were supposed to be using those thicker type noodles (think Lomi) but I requested to them if they could change the Udon to the usual "thinner" noodles.



Normally a Ten Mori is served to you in separate containers, one being a plate of cooked noodles (but already at room temperature). Then a small plate or cup where there is leeks, spring onions and wasabi in which you mix to the cold broth that is usually placed in a small soup bowl (those normally used to place miso soup).



Then take a few strands of the noodles, dip in the cold broth (I usually let it soak in their for a good 20 or 30 seconds) before slurping away. (hahahaha yes, I try to slurp as loudly as possible just like in the movies)

Noodles are nice and firm to the bite too. And since their is no hot broth involved in this dish, the noodles will stay firm for a much longer period. Going to the cold broth, its got a nice sweet salty flavor (kinda similar to your tempura dipping sauce) but I personally felt they were just a teenee weenee bit heavy-handed on the soy sauce.


****************************

A serving of Ebi Tempura is also included in the Cold Noodle Dish. And since I'm not a fan of tempura, I had my parents take care of that department.




************************************

KOKORO RAMENYA is located at: 2/F Avenue of the Arts Bldg.,
Roxas Blvd. cor. Sta. Monica, Ermita,  Manila


Directions: If you're coming from Baclaran going into the direction of Luneta along Roxas Boulevard .....take the service road once you pass Pedro Gil and just look to your right until you see a building which looks like whats on the picture.



If you're coming from the Luneta area, best option is to take Padre Faura until you exit towards Roxas Boulevard. Stay on the service road, take a left and the building should be a block or two away.

2 comments:

  1. If you like Ajisen, you know nothing about ramen!

    ReplyDelete