Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Kimpura Japanese Restaurant

Was with some balikbayan relatives and we thought about treating them to a japanese dinner. I personally thought about going to the Makati area for better japanese fare but none of us were really in the mood to brave the rush hour weekday traffic. Oh well, Kimpura isn't so bad (at least the last time we tried it).

For this particular evening, I opted just to eat cold dishes, (wonder what got into me) so those are the only ones I will comment on. Besides, most of my family members opted for individual bento meals.


Super California Maki



Just your usual "California" sushi roll of vinegard rice,  crabsticks, cucumbers and mango. The twist here is that they added a slice of unagi (grilled eel) on top. While I really wouldn't call it super, I still liked it because of the added unagi.


Smoked salmon with Cream Cheese



I can't remember the exact name of this sushi roll...... The cream cheese was a bit overwhelming sovwe couldn't really taste the smokiness of the salmon. (actually we couldn't taste the salmon period.)


Chirashi (Raw Sashimi on top of Vinegared Rice)



The raw fish here are fresh and firm to the bite. The downer here is the sprinkling of some kind of pink powder on the rice which made it extremely sweet.


Hiyashi Ramen



Other cold noodle variants like Cha soba and zaru soba make use of a sweet dipping sauce. Hibachi ramen usually have an additional sour aftertaste. (some people will like it, some won't). The texture of the egg noodles remind me of those Maggi instant noodles. (but then, the quality here is way way better)

Quite odd that the friendly server included a small serving of Japanese mayo and he said I should add that to the dipping sauce. I probably shouldn't have listened to him as it gave the sauce a weird texture and aftertaste. (imagine soy sauce and mayo)


Mixed Tempura



This was my uncles order ..... I'm not really a fan of tempura so I didn't taste this. (but I took the picture anyway since the dish was just beside me)


*********************************

KIMPURA is located at 3rd Level of Trinoma Mall in Quezon City.

No comments:

Post a Comment